Preferential Enrolment is the term concerning enrolment used in the Integration Act.
“Parents who have a particular or general philosophical or religious connection with an integrated school shall have preference of enrolment for their children at the school.” ( Para 29 (1)).
At the Bishop’s conference held in July 2003, the following criteria were agreed to for proprietors and their agents to use to establish preference of enrolment.
- The child has been baptised or is being prepared for baptism in the Catholic church.
- The child’s parents, caregivers or guardians have already allowed one or more of its siblings to be baptised in the Catholic faith.
- At least one parent, caregiver or guardian is a Catholic and although their child has not yet been baptised, the child’s participation in the life of the College could lead to the parents, caregivers or guardians having the child baptised.
- With the agreement of the child’s parents, caregivers or guardians, a grandparent or other significant adult in the child’s life, such as an aunt, uncle or godparent, undertakes to support the child’s formation in the faith and practices of the Catholic church.
- One or both of a child’s non-Catholic parents, caregivers or guardians is preparing to become a Catholic.
If you qualify under any of the above criteria you need to take your enrolment card to your local parish priest.
We have 5% of non-preferential places available to those students who do not qualify under the above criteria. If you are interested in having your child attend Chanel College as a non-preferential student, please fill out the enrolment card provided and make an appointment with the Principal. Places are taken up very quickly.